Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Privilege of Driving


I was watching the democratic debates the other day and the issue of drivers licenses for illegal aliens came up. Senator Dodd was adamantly opposed to the idea and said that driver's licenses were a privilege not a right. Now I don't disagree that drivers licenses are not a right, but are they a privilege? I ask because in many countries it's just the way people get around. It's pretty much taken for granted that driving is just a way of getting around nowadays, a byproduct of modern urban living. And that got me to thinking. Do we really want people without licenses on the highway? What are people doing on the road without licenses? Does that make any kind of sense? Wouldn't it be better if they had some kind of paperwork indicating they can drive? Maybe they're supposed to walk to work, but if you live in a city like mine you will be half way to work by the time lunch time rolls by. Maybe all these drivers can be given some kind of permit, like the one I got when I was a teenager. That enabled me to learn to how to drive. Maybe they don't have that option in the state of Connecticut but it would be good if they did. Oh well, its not my problem. I'm off to enjoy my privilege and take a few sharp U-turns.

No comments: